Get Adobe Flash player

Hi All,

As this is the first build log post I will describe some of the build and design practices that I will be using. Firstly I will almost always try and use existing commercial available off the shelf (COTS) hardware wherever possible as there are no prizes for "re-inventing the wheel". The lowest replaceable unit (LRU) will be at the subsystem level so that any problems with UAV subsystems can be repaired rapidly through subsystem replacement.

Okay lets get started!

In the interest of creating a totally modular competition UAV I made a a box to mount the Paparazzi autopilot hardware in so that I can easily replace the whole autopilot at the airfield in the event of a failure.

I converted the Molex Picoblade connectors to standard Futaba servo connectors and mounted them to a jiffy box. I also mounted the PPM encoder inside the box so that any RC receiver can be used for manual control of the UAV.

I mounted standard Futaba servo connectors to a jiffy box


Next I made a mounting plate for the Paparazzi autopilot board to sit on inside the case.


The mount plate was then epoxied to the top of the mounted servos connections.


The Paparazzi autopilot board was then stuck to the mounting plate using two layers of double sided speed control tape.


This is the completed autopilot module with all sensors and RC reviver attached.


This concludes build progress update 1. Autopilot integration will be documented in subsequent build progress updates.

Tagged in: UAV , subsystem , servo , replacement , PPM , Paparazzi , Molex Picoblade , modular , Futaba , encoder , design practices , COTS , competition